Iron Girl 2008
posted under
Triathlons
by Kate
Yesterday (Sunday, June 29, 2008) was the 2nd annual Iron Girl in Atlanta (actually it's at Lake Lanier Islands). The event here is a sprint triathlon (1/3 mi swim; 18 mi bike; 3 mi run). Registration was capped at 1,000; I think last year's was around 500. I placed 602 among the 633 finishers. Here are my times with last year's in parentheses:



I met some cool people on the route. Everyone is always so encouraging and inspirational. The oldest woman was 67 and she did her first tri at 66. How awesome is that?? She finished in 2:28:38 - faster than me! I hope I'm still doing tris in my 60's. The youngest competitor was 13.

AFLAC was the big sponsor this year. They placed duck prints in and out of the transition area and along the route to the swimming start. There was also a big inflated duck when you exited the lake.
And finally, I had wonderful cheerleaders. Mom and Wanda were both pumped at 5AM (this is such an early sport!). It's a wonderful feeling to see people you know and love cheering for you along the route. It would not be the same without them. :) Thanks, guys!!



Photo Gallery: http://photohut.smugmug.com/gallery/5289325_dSinK#322386986_2gCJa

Swim 18:54 (21:03)
Tran 6:34 (6:06)
Bike 1:35:13 (1:30:50)
Tran 2:57 (2:22)
Run 42:38 (39:45)
Time 2:46:16 (2:40:06)


So overall it took me longer, but I felt better than last year. I'm a little disappointed that it took me longer on the bike (because I've been biking some lately and am definitely more prepared than last year) and the run (because I felt like the run was easier this year). Hmm. Oh well. I still got the medal!
I met some cool people on the route. Everyone is always so encouraging and inspirational. The oldest woman was 67 and she did her first tri at 66. How awesome is that?? She finished in 2:28:38 - faster than me! I hope I'm still doing tris in my 60's. The youngest competitor was 13.

AFLAC was the big sponsor this year. They placed duck prints in and out of the transition area and along the route to the swimming start. There was also a big inflated duck when you exited the lake.
And finally, I had wonderful cheerleaders. Mom and Wanda were both pumped at 5AM (this is such an early sport!). It's a wonderful feeling to see people you know and love cheering for you along the route. It would not be the same without them. :) Thanks, guys!!


Photo Gallery: http://photohut.smugmug.com/gallery/5289325_dSinK#322386986_2gCJa
Comment Form under post in blogger/blogspot